New to PHP

I mentioned earlier that I recently switched my site over to PHP.  I had a
couple of reasons for this:

1: I was using Server Side Includes, and had been told that PHP includes
were better and definitely more popular.

2: I began sending out a newsletter which was written by someone else in
PHP.

I am beginning to wonder if this was a good idea.  I can no longer preview
my pages without uploading the files to the server.  This can really become
a problem when I am making slight formatting changes to my CSS file where I
need to refresh the page every few seconds until I get the look just right.

Is it really worth changing all the files to PHP files and using includes?
Is there any way around this, or am I stuck uploading??

Thanks,

Jedidiah