Re: PHP load to high on server

On Tue, January 17, 2006 11:18 pm, Albert wrote:
> The page having the heaviest load uses 5 simultaneous sessions - they
> refresh every 5 seconds. Even with just one connection there are 16
> Apache
> threads running all occupying between 5 and 20% of CPU.

Are you saying that you have a page that chews up 5 HTTP connections,
and each uses PHP heavily, and you reload that page every 5 seconds?

Maybe you shouldn't do that...

Stretch it out to 10 seconds and see where your load goes.

Find out which of the 5 sessions is most expensive (slowest).  Can you
cache the results of that one?  How about the second slowest?  Can you
cache ANYTHING to make the application faster?

> Does anyone have an idea of what I can do (short of recoding)?

Oh. Well, with no recoding you can:

#1. Buy more hardware, and build a server farm.

#2. Buy the Zend Cache

#3. Install some other Cache product (most of which aren't as
good/fast/solid as Zend Cache, imho)

Disclosure: I was formerly employed by Zend and am at least as biased
as anybody else on this list, if not more so. :-)

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm