Re: PHP Cache (was PHP load to high on server)

on your *nix cmdline type this:

	pear install apc

(if you don't have pear installed then you should fix that first ;-)
now read here about how to use it:

	http://php.net/apc

I love it even though it crashes when caching the opcodes of certain
class files (php5 files that make use of __get()/__set() to retrieve
[sub-]objects).

take note that APC does 2 things:

1. op code caching
2. manage some shared memory (a central place where you can stick stuff
that needs to be read again and again and again; but doesn't need updating
very often)

by all means come back if you get stuck or have specific issues ( I can't
garantee I will be able to help - I'm only a little further down the apc road
than you**)

rgds,
Jochem

** the internals mailing list archive can attest to the ammount of
times I have badgered Rasmus about APC ;-) (Rasmus cowrote APC btw)

Albert wrote:
I wrote:

I am running SuSE 9.2 (Kernel 2.6.8-24-default) with Apache 2.0.50 and PHP
4.3.8 (as an Apache module) on a Celeron 900 with 304MB RAM. This machine is used for testing. We have made some changes to our PHP application and now the machine is having trouble serving the pages. Apache is occupying almost 90% CPU usage.

I have resolved this issue by removing a piece of code which reads a set of
parameters from a database. It seems that the hard disk on the machine is
quite slow, slowing down all database access with it...

I now check if the parameters are set in the session, if it is I use them
otherwise I read them from the database and save it as session variables.
When it changes I simply remove it from the session so it forces an update.
So far it is working quite well.

I now want to go and take all the static stuff that the user will configure
once in a life time and put it in the session and only update it when it
changes instead of reading it from the database every five seconds or so.

For this I don't want to use a disk based session handler. I want the
session variables to remain in memory (about 20KB per user) as to speed up
the whole process.
I also want an opcode cache to cache the compiled pages on the server in an
attempt to speed up the HTTP server.

For this I wanted to use mmCache (actually I want to use Zend Performance
Suite but first I need to prove that it is worth $ 1000 per CPU and from the
stats on the mmCache site mmCache is faster...) but it seems that the
mmCache project has been abandoned as there have been no work done on it
since 2003.

Can someone confirm this or recommend an alternate cache (doesn't have to be
free but should break the bank) which will do what I want?
Albert