Re: Sending mail with php-

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 1/10/06, Sameer N Ingole <strike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Dotan,

You know cross-posting is bad..?

actually I don't mind it - especially as I'm not on the apache or
fedora lists ;-)

and with regard to sending out emails I find using a connection with
an SMTP server (local or not) is alot less hassle with regard to bounces
and stuff (like the problem you were/are having) than using sendmail - not
necessarily because an smtp service is better but because it means that usually
someone has already done the nitty-gritty mail server config stuff that sees to
it that mail gets reliably delivered!

and phpmailer - thats also be known to help me from myself (when it comes to
make a pig's ear of using the mail() function) - 3 cheers for Richard Heyes
(you just know a class rocks when you can actually name the author by heart! :-).

Yes, I know that cross-posting is unencouraged behaviour. However, I
really thought that apache-users was the place to ask. When I received
no reply from the apache mailing list, I did not know whether to ask
here or at my distro's (Fedora) list. As the problem is in a php
script, however, it involves php AND apache AND sendmail, all of which
were installed by default on my distro- and are expected to work. I
was not sure if the fault is with me (my misconfiguration) or with the
distro (distros default configuration).

So I appologize, and here I learned yet another lesson- when I _do_
cheat- I get caught!

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/short_answer/what_is_hdtv.html
(&^