page duration tracking

Is there a way to incorporate some type of time in a page to track the
duration of time each individual visitor spent on a specific page with ..PHP?

I know I can keep a counter with JavaScript, but I would like it to keep
track in my stats file.

I can track & log the arrival time, but would like to either track the page
exit time, too.  It would be great to convert it to minutes:seconds for time
spent viewing the page.

I only want to track how much time someone spends on my index.php page
before they leave the page.  I can track when they click to the next page in
my site.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Mike Lewitz
Phoenix, AZ
Supra - the only way to FLY!

"Manage your destiny, or someone else will."
~Jack Welch, Former CEO, General Electric