Re: Re: Server Client Architecture, best parctice

Reading this, a question arose me: is it possible to read a shared memory area with php, supposing than both programs are in the same machine? does php support ipc? that would be greatly useful.

yes.

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.sem.php

Mariano.

James Benson wrote:

Each has its own benefits, if on a shared server then a database would be the most secure I think, if its a dedicated server then tmpfs or just plain old files will probably be the best, it also depends on various other factors like, server hardware and bandwith, only you can select the best option for your particular setup.

James

Yaswanth Narvaneni wrote:

Hi!

I would like to know what does the community think of the best
architecture for server client communication and why? That is, if
there is a server in C++ (say a game server) and the PHP has to 'read'
data 'from' the server then what is the best form of communication?

a) Shared Memory : Server opens the shared memory in write and the PHP
scripts open it in read and gets the data
b) TMPFS (just like shared memory): Server opens a file in tmpfs in
write and PHP in read
c) Databases: Server Updates a table in the DB and client reads from the table
d) Files: Same as TMPFS

Regards,
Yaswanth

--
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is." -- Fortune Cookie