Testing on the local server

First of all, I'm completely new to PHP and pretty new to web
programming/management in general, so if you respond, try not to use any
really complex terms or anything that I may not understand!

right now I have an existing PHP site that I downloaded for editing. But I
am having problems viewing/testing .php documents.

This one may be just a more general question not necessarily PHP-related...
The server contains a folder of "includes" that are on every page (e.g. the
header and footer, navigation bar, etc) - and all of these files are in .php
format. I try to view these .php files on the web server just to see what
they look like, and it says "Access Denied", even though I've set the
properties to allow all users to read the files in this folder. How can I
view these?

I use Dreamweaver and I try to test the files on the local host, but the
page doesn't even show up. This maybe a stupid question..but to test on a
local server, would I just need to download PHP?