Re: Type of form element

On 11/8/05 11:38 PM, Richard Lynch wrote:
If you want to stuff NULL into something, and then use is_null() that
makes sense.

If you want to stuff NULL in there, and then use isset(), I'm not
quite sure why you'd put NULL in there in the first place, but I don't
rightly know what I'd expect isset() to return.  Same for $a or
$myarray['a']

I know this is off-topic for this thread, but just as I see isset() misused (as in this case), I often see empty() misused. For example, when using empty(), the following all return TRUE:

$a = 0;
$b = NULL;
$c = FALSE;
$d = "0";

var_dump(empty($a));
var_dump(empty($b));
var_dump(empty($c));
var_dump(empty($d));

But, hey, is the value of the variable really empty (especially for $a and $d)?

Likewise, if you're encountering a NULL value in a variable and you're checking it with isset(), then you need to consider why you're even getting a NULL value? You should filter your variables before you use them--even variables coming from $_SERVER.

Remember, $_SERVER variables can be overwritten:

$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] = 'Howdy Doody';
echo $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'];

So, make sure they're what you expect them to be.

--
Ben Ramsey
http://benramsey.com/