Re: Type of form element

On Mon, October 31, 2005 4:56 pm, Marcus Bointon wrote:
> Yesterday I encountered an error in a large commercial php script and
> it turned out that it was looking in $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] which
> was there but set to NULL for some reason, and their test with isset
> was failing. So it's not just academic and I'm not making it up -
> this problem does happen for real.

So are you going to ignore the bug that put NULL into
$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']???

Cuz, really, not using isset() because somebody screwed up and put
NULL into $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] is not my idea of good code.

:-)

PS
I would never, ever, write:
$myarray['a'] = NULL;
if I wanted it to be unset.

I'd write:
unset($myarray['a']);

And guess what?

isset() works for that.

If you want to stuff NULL into something, and then use is_null() that
makes sense.

If you want to stuff NULL in there, and then use isset(), I'm not
quite sure why you'd put NULL in there in the first place, but I don't
rightly know what I'd expect isset() to return.  Same for $a or
$myarray['a']

What's it supposed to MEAN in your code if you cram NULL into an array
as a value?

I guess I'm not seeing a useful reason to do that.  Ever. [shrug]

Maybe that's only cuz this whole NULL thing is just too new-fangled
(in PHP) for an old dog like me. :-)

I'd also be quite happy to have isset($myarray['a']) return TRUE if
you've got NULL crammed in there. [shrug]  I don't know what meaning
one wants to assign to a NULL value crammed into an array as a value
under a given index, but, as far as I'm concerned, NULL is a perfectly
fine (if somewhat distinctive) value, and the array key is "set" to
that weird-o value of NULL.  I don't know (or really care) what this
will output:
<?php
  $myarray['a'] = NULL;
  echo isset($myarray['a']);
?>
I ain't never gonna type it, so I don't care what it does. :-)
And, yes, that would imply that:
<?php
  $a = NULL;
  echo isset($a);
?>
should behave the same.

I dunno which way PHP-Dev fell on this one, but I'll be it was a long
argument. :-) Probably even longer than this one :-) :-) :-)

That said:
I use isset() and I use unset() and if I had crammed NULL into my
array in the first place, I reckon I'd use isnull() or whatever it is
to test for NULL in there...

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm