Re: use SMB share to run php files

On Sun, November 6, 2005 1:32 pm, Ross wrote:
> Ok been looking into in and know a bit of terminology now.
>
> I have an SMB share on my mac which is my WWWROOT folder on my windows
> computer. These files have all permissions enabled so I can edit in
> dreamweaver (on mac). All I want to so is setup PHP/Apache so it
> recognises
> the WWWROOT folder and everything under it (folders and files) so it
> runs
> the php.
>
> Do I have to change the userdir in httpd.conf ?? If so how?
>
> Can I have my current folder (http://127.0.0.1/~myname/index.php) in
> my
> Sites folder and add an extra php enabled folder??

First, you need to edit a file named "httpd.conf" -- and it has to be
the one Apache is actually reading, if there is more than one on your
web-server.

You'll want to be sure DocumentRoot points to your SMB share or
WWWROOT folder/directory.

Next, you'll want to find the PHP settings within that file, and make
sure they are not commented out.  If there are no such settings in
that file, you can dig them out with a Google or try re-installing PHP
in the hopes that the lines get added or...

Finally, to get the ~myname bit working, you have to find that part of
httpd.conf and also make sure it is enabled.

You could also play with your /etc/hosts file to set up VirtualHosts
(or the corresponding "hosts" file on a Windows server, which is
hidden in a different directory in each release, or not there at all,
but there is a hosts.sam (sample) file you can dig out and copy to the
correct directory, which may or may not be the directory where the
hosts.sam file lives, and which also changes with every release of
Windows...

Anyway, if you set up some "hosts" you can then play with
<VirtualHost> settings in httpd.conf to set up only a handful of users
with their own web-server home directories, instead of all users.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm