RE: PDF permissions problems

[snip]
I'm trying to write a FDF file into a directory outside of the
webserver.  I keep getting errors such as:

Warning: fopen(/x/x/FDF/FLQual.fdf): failed to open stream:
Permission denied in /Library/WebServer/Documents/x/x/FLCorpQual.php
on line 36

Can someone give me a quick lesson in permissions?  For example, as
long as the director I want to write into has read permissions, I'm
ok, right?  But what if that director is inside another directory
that doesn't have read permissions?  And does it matter that I'm
writing from a PHP page that's within the Web Directory out into a
director that's not within the Web Directory?  I'm using absolute
paths.
[/snip]

I typed "lesson on directory permissions" in Google, and it was amazing.

In the case that you are talking about the 'person' that the web server is
running as must have write permissions to a directory where it is trying to
write things.