Re: Forcing auto_prepend_file to work regardless of what document was accessed

On Sat, October 22, 2005 11:42 pm, Dan Trainor wrote:
> This would be a great solution, and I'm sure my concern is something
> that's been discussed many times on this list - I'm worried about the
> performance hit that the machine would take, if/when parsing a large
> number of files, in this manner.
>
> For small sites, I have no problem adding .html, .htm and friends to
> PHP's own AddType.  But I'm not so sure for larger sites.
>
> I'll browse the archive for info and data, and weigh my options.

Last benchmarks I saw clocked in at 5 to 10% loss to run all .htm and
.html files through PHP.

That was awhile ago, though.

Test on a dev server with apache benchmark (ab) before and after and see.

PHP doesn't really *DO* much until it hits '<?php' if you think about it.

It just reads the file, uses something like strtok() to search for
'<?php' and spits it back out.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm