Re: Using PHP-based form authentication, circumventing existing Apache .htaccess "require valid-user"

Richard Lynch wrote:
You USED to be able to do that by putting

http://username:password@xxxxxxxxxxx

but then Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, decided that was a
"security risk" and stopped supporting it.

AFAIK, there's no way to SET the USER/PASS from server to browser...

Hmmmm.

You could maybe use cURL to login, then pass back all the responses to
the browser, and then the headers that make them be "logged in" would
work for both your login and their .htaccess.

The PHP Form and HTTP Auth part of all this for your first login is
documented right in the manual, so you needn't strain your brain on
that bit.

Thanks for the response, Richard -

However, I'm not looking to insert usernames or passwords into the
client browser.  I'm simply looking for a way to have apache totally
ignore all AuthConfig information if the user has already authenticated
to the system using some PHP form hackery.

I think I found a solution here that I'm going to play with.

Thanks
-dant