Using .htaccess files with PHP CGI

I am using PHP5 as a CGI and I can't seem to figure out
how to set INI values through httpd.conf or .htaccess files.
Since PHP isn't built as a module, the php_admin_value
and php_value directives don't exist.

If I had a module version of PHP along side the CGI, this
would not help because as far as I know Apache won't parse
those php directives and pass them to the CGI instance.

I know I can call the CGI binary using a Handler and pass
var=value arguments using the '-d' flag, but I want to be able
to set them differently per Virtual Host.

Specifically, I want to set 'session.save_path' for each virtual
host to a directory other than the one set in php.ini that only
apache can read/write to since my suexec'd php cgi binary
can only write session data to a directory owned by the
virtual host user.

How can this be done?  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

-Jason Kovacs