Re: Obsession with BC, take 2

On Fri, October 14, 2005 5:18 pm, GamblerZG wrote:
>>>The second one is by using two
>>>different
>>>apache modules. It *does not break anything*, but it's a pain to
>>>setup.
>>>
>>>Judging sheerly by functionality and compatibility the second ways
>>> is
>>>better.
>>>
>>>However, judging from what I know about PHP, nobody tries to make
>>> that
>>>way easier, because everybody assume that everyone else use the
>>> first
>>>way. Is it good old catch 22 in action, or are there some design
>>>considerations I'm not aware of?
>>
>> A great number of people have worked on, and are working on, ways to
>> make this easier.
>>
>> Most people, however, find it more practical to simply have 2
>> different server configurations (old and new) and migrate clients
>> onto
>> the new server slowly, at the CLIENT'S pace, instead of losing
>> customers by just trashing their site out from under them.
>
> Actually, I was speaking about PHP developers.

As was I...

Keep in mind that most, if not all, PHP developers are also PHP users
and have to manage servers just as you do.

They surely did not intentionally make things difficult for themselves
on purpose.

We know for a fact that they have tried, in the past:
1. Different filename extensions.
2. Having 2 versions in a single Apache Module at one time
3. Running one of 2 versions as CGI
4. Putting some services/hosts on a different server, masking it
through Apache magic proxy thingie.

> The sheer fact that
> they
> bothered to write compatibility mode shows that they don't really
> count
> on hosters using two engines side-by-side. On the other hand, the only
> disadvantage of such approach is installation, and developers have the
> power to remove this shortcoming. Since they preferred the first way
> of
> handling compatibility, there must be some language design issues with
> the second one. It would be interesting to know/discuss them.

Perhaps you should subscribe to and search through the Developers' and
Internals mailing lists where such conversations take place.

I daresay a great deal of information and discussion is there.

I am quite confident that it is nowhere near as simple as you think.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm