Re: Obsession with BC, take 2

Robert Cummings wrote:
On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 17:31, GamblerZG wrote:

Since nobody ansvered the real question my previous message, I will re-phrase it.

PHP developers assume that PHP5 will be frequently used to parse PHP4 scripts. Why? And what's so horrible about using separate engines to run php 4 and 5 scripts?

You can use separate engines. The topic has been addresses many times
already.

Yes, but separating PHP 4 and 5 is still a non-trivial task. For example, IIRC, FreeBSD's port system does not allow you to install both mods at the same time. Besides, developers do not expect PHP to be used that way, so they are likely to sacrifice certain features for the sake of compatibility.

--
Best regards,
Roman S.I.

http://sf.net/projects/naturalgine/