Re: LDAP problem

On Tue, August 23, 2005 11:59 pm, Björn Bartels wrote:
> I built a test script with help from the manual which authenticates a
> user and does a simple test query (cn=*).
> the test script works fine, no matter what protocol version it uses,
> on
> any (internal) client computer.
> The problem occurs when I built the same lines into my intranet-app.
> After connecting successfully to the server (ldap_connect) the script
> is
> unable to bind to server (ldap_bind -> cannot contact server...).
> LDAP works fine all the way, we are using OpenXchange...

How long does it take to fail?

If it takes about 30 seconds from when you run the script for the
error message to appear, that usually indicates that the DNS is
somehow messed up, and it's timing out.

Though I guess you'd see that with ldap_connect() and not ldap_bind()...

Is there some sort of permission system in LDAP which allows one to
connect, but not to "bind"?

Sort of like in MySQL you might be able to mysql_connect() but if you
don't have any rights to a particular database, mysql_select_db() will
fail.

These are just guesses from a VERY limited knowlege of LDAP.

You'll probably get much better answers shortly. :-)

Just for testing, can you install the same LDAP script on the same
computer that has the LDAP server that currently doesn't work?

If the computer can't connect/bind to itself, but the same PHP script
works on the OTHER box where it can connect/bind to itself, you can be
pretty certain it's an LDAP configuration error on that particular
LDAP server, not something actually in your PHP or the networking.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm