Re: preg_match

On Tue, August 23, 2005 1:58 am, Robin Vickery wrote:
> But in the mean time, it's not *that* hard to learn the syntax of
> regular expressions. OK, they're rather terse. But apart from that,
> they're a lot simpler than a proper language like PHP and you don't
> seem to have problems with that.

Snort!

Totally different thread here...

I figured out core PHP syntax in about 5 minutes, and would say I've
mastered it over the past decade.

I've been trying to figure out Regex for even longer, and still can't
write a moderately complex Regex without building it up iteratively
piece by piece with a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The grammar and syntax of Regex (Perl or POSIX) is impenetrable, in MY
experience.

Maybe if somebody, or circumstances, forced you to learn Perl first, I
can see how they'd seem "equally" difficult, I guess...

There may even be some twisted mind out there that finds Regex
"easier" than PHP...   Nah.  No way. :-)

Seriously, though, I honestly and truly believe Regex is inherently
more complex than PHP, having made a concerted effort to learn both.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm