Re: PHP vs. ColdFusion

I've been coding in PHP since version 3 and I actually sold a telecommunications company to use it for their HUGE intranet back in 2000 (right before they went out of business in North America). They wanted to use Java and I talked them out of it for the simple fact that PHP was so easy to use and ease to develop. The learning curve for PHP vs. Java IMO was 10 times faster especially if you had people coming on board that didn't really know OOP that well. PHP was the perfect environment for people who do not have a lot of experience to learn a language really fast. Even working in it now for 5 years becoming I guess you could say an expert in PHP I find that really experienced people in PHP can fly through code and create huge applications in no time. Even those who have been programming in another language pick up PHP in just a matter of days and begin to fly around it creating things very quickly. Out of all my developer friends those who know PHP love it because it is so easy. I have never once heard of an application becoming too complex because of it's ease. That to me is just silly ignorant talk. The guy who wrote that article about PHP obviously don't know what he is doing and I would argue he was hired by Microsoft to write something against it because as John Pina Craven said, "innovation is the enemy of the status quo - it puts people out of business." :)

You'll have to let us know what the final decision is.

jay

On Aug 22, 2005, at 1:16 PM, Rick Emery wrote:

Quoting Rick Emery <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

My employer has (finally) decided to take full advantage of our intranet, and wants to move from client-server applications to web-based applications.

[snipped]

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Opinions are welcome (especially from programmers with experience in both), but I have to "sell" it to management (I'm already on the PHP side), so links to data or articles comparing the two are best.

Ugh, we're *never* going to make a decision. My boss just sent me this email:

"I read the following article and I wanted your feedback on it. http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2002/papers/html/php/#section_6. I have read enough articles to know that the author can slant things one way or another depending on their personal preferences. I am off to my Dr?s appointment but I would like to discuss this with you when we both get a chance. The last two sections are the primary concern. I do know the article was written 3 years ago and that may have impact as well."

Anybody care to provide words of wisdom to me before I meet with her? I hate doing this, as I'm sure everybody has better things to do, but I *really* want to sell PHP.

Thanks in advance,
Rick
--
Rick Emery