Date: Monday, August 22, 2005 08:42:14 AM -0500
From: Jay Blanchard <jay.blanchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jay Paulson <jpaulson@xxxxxxxx>, php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE:  Special HTML characters question.

[snip]
I have a problem that I'm sure some of you have run into before,
therefore I hope you all know of an easy solution.  Some of my users
are cutting and pasting text from Word into text fields that are being
saved into a database then from that database being displayed on a web
page.  The problem occurs when some special characters are being used.
 Double quotes, single quotes, and other characters like accents etc
have the special html code like &quote; etc replacing the special
characters.  What methods are being used to combat this issue?  Is
there a solution out there to run text through some sort of filter
before submitting it to the database to look for these special
characters and then replacing them?
[/snip]

Start here http://www.php.net/htmlentities . You can also use any
number of REGEX functions for replacing them http://www.php.net/regex