Re: Special HTML characters question.

Thanks for the reply.

I would imagine there are a lot of special html characters that would need to be changed using regex. Therefore, spending my time making a regex to find a replace each one of them isn't a good way to spend my time or even if I did go that route I'm sure it's uses too much system resources to search for and replace all the characters. The reason I say that is what if a user does a search on the database and the database is filled with all these special characters. Sure I could htmlspecialchars() the string that is passed to the search and then run the sql to the DB for the query. However, does htmlspecialchars() account for all special characters? Then you have to account for the extra space the htmlspecialchars() is going to put in your DB and other issues that might arise from that.

Does anyone know the common practice for this? Or is it just preference?

Thanks,
jay