Resizing thumbnails to the browser

Hello All,

I have a series of thumbnails on my site of photos I've taken that are all
150px in width, but of variable height. I want to randomly display one of
the thumbnails each time the home page of my site is loaded in a column that
is 140px wide.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me at some code that would achieve this?
All of the thumbnails are in jpg format.

So, essentially, I'm trying to resize the thumbnails down to 140px wide
while maintaining the aspect ratio of the image's height.

I have GD enabled.

Any help appreciated!

Much warmth,

Murray