Re: php cli script with if-then's very slow

On Thu, August 18, 2005 2:14 am, Frans Fierens wrote:
> I've noticed that php cli scripts using for-loops with some
> if...then's
> are very slow using the php cli (command line interface). The
> following
> php script takes somewhat 100 seconds (php v5.0.3 on a redhat linux, 3
> Ghz PC). The same program in c (see below) less than 1 second ... I
> know
> that php is a scripting language, but isn't the difference between de
> compiled prog and de php script not very extreme ?

In the unlikely event that you ever need code like that in a real-life
application, write that part of your code in C as a Module for
Apache/PHP.

A cache like the Zend cache would maybe help a LITTLE as it will parse
it all to byte-code only once.  Though I suspect it won't help that
much, as it will still have run through that byte-code over and over.

Do feel free to write all your web server application in C if
performance is your primary consideration. :-)

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm