Re: php cli script with if-then's very slow

Frans Fierens wrote:
I've noticed that php cli scripts using for-loops with some if...then's are very slow using the php cli (command line interface). The following php script takes somewhat 100 seconds (php v5.0.3 on a redhat linux, 3 Ghz PC). The same program in c (see below) less than 1 second ... I know that php is a scripting language, but isn't the difference between de c compiled prog and de php script not very extreme ?

The difference in the code isn't extreme, but the difference in the way it's processed is.

C is compiled down to machine code and then executed at a later time. When you execute it, you are executing the compiled code that the machine natively understands.

PHP, on the otherhand, is not compiled and has to be interpreted by the PHP engine each time it is run. This is, naturally, going to make it slower than C.

--
Ben Ramsey
http://benramsey.com/