Re: String to Stream

Jochem Maas wrote:
Eric Gorr wrote:

Jochem Maas wrote:
 > http://php.net/manual/en/function.stream-wrapper-register.php is as

close as it gets
I think. - total overkill for manipulating strings IMHO - (me thinks there is atleast one other in agreement) - there is a reason php has all those built in string functions :-)

And there are good reasons why other very intelligent people thought that including such functionality directly in the C++ STL and many other libraries was a good idea too.

indeed - but php !== c++ obviously.

personally I don't get your angle on this one, but like Jay I'd be interested to know how you think this might be useful - so if you
could give an explicit (as poss.) example it might help us to
understand.

Well, as I mentioned before, you are welcome to look into the surrounding useful examples for istringstream, etc. I can't think of a single reason why similar reasons why istringstream, etc. is useful would not apply to a php stream_wrapper for strings.

As for why things like istringstream, etc. are useful, you can also head over comp.lang.c++ and ask...I, quite simply, have no interest in a debate or discussion I already know the final answer to....i.e. it is useful.

btw do you think the functionality surrounding stream_wrapper_register()
will do it for you?

I don't see any reason why not at the moment.

--
== Eric Gorr =============================== http://www.ericgorr.net ===
"I believe each individual is naturally entitled to do as he pleases