Re: [PHP-DB] Security question [was Searchable/Sortable Database Fields with MySQL/PHP]

Hi jeffrey,

On 7/13/05, Jeffrey <jeffreyb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is it worth encrypting data on the database tables when anyone who can
> access the application itself - or better still the server - could
> readily access the encrypted data?  Assuming SSL connections, secure
> server, etc, would you also encrypt on the DB?

What type of encryption you mean? For one-way encryption algorithms
(widely employed to store passwords) the data can't be recovered
(except by brute force attacks, a time- and resource-consuming process
that can take forever). For two-way encryption algorithms, the data
has to be decrypted at some point for a "legitimate" controlled use.
If the decryption process is done inside your web application code,
then why wouldn't the attacker (assuming he/she has gained access to
the server) read your source code to find out how to decrypt the data?
I haven't been through this before so this is just what i think about
it.

-ahmed