Re[6]: Re: Security, Late Nights and Overall Paranoia

Hello Greg,

Monday, July 11, 2005, 5:06:51 PM, you wrote:

GD> I wouldn't know, <span> isn't one of the tags I allow.

If you stick to the plain vanilla HTML tags such as i, b, u, etc then
BBCode is pointless - I agreed on this with you several posts ago. I
don't however use it just for that, I use it to let thousands of kids
add a little sparkle to their messages/profiles with colours, images,
etc -- without them having to have good CSS/HTML knowledge (most of them
could handle a font tag, but that'd break my XHTML Trans). This is the
point I argued all along to which I get "it's not really a security
benefit" (no, it's a user benefit) and it's a "misuse of cpu cycles".

For people I hold in such high regard, I'm ashamed at the lot of you :)

GD> I don't bother with perfect tag validation, and I doubt the phpbb
GD> bbcode people do either since they average about 2-3 exploits a
GD> month on Bugtraq.

Not that I'd let an install of phpBB anywhere near a site I run, they
didn't invent BBCode, and in all fairness to those guys the majority
of their exploits are elsewhere.

GD> I allow a specific set of safe html tags and I provide a preview
GD> function. Even after that, if the user goofs up I allow a specific
GD> time span in which to edit the post to correct the goof.

Ditto. I just don't force them to use HTML.

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." - Isaac Asimov