Re: IBM's Learning PHP Part 1 tutorial.

Bill McEachran wrote:
Newbie question.

I'm working my way through IBM's PHP tutorial. Generally good ... but I'm stuck at an error point and have no idea what's going wrong. Before adding a new row to the mysql database (already opened) we do a query to see if a particular record already exists.
(see $resultT).

We then test, using if, to see if $resultT is true or false. If it's false we are then supposed to enter a new record. Problem: it's never false. It always evaluates true. What am I doing wrong? TIA

/*   build query to see if the record is entered already */
    $sqlT = "select * from users where username='".$_POST["name"]."'";
    $resultT = mysql_query($sqlT);

http://us2.php.net/mysql_query

mysql_query() will only return an error IF the query CANNOT be executed. Basically, your query is executing fine, it's just returning zero results. Check to see if any rows were returned...

http://us2.php.net/mysql_num_rows

if ( ! mysql_num_rows ( $resulT ) ) {
	//  No results returned
}