Re: imagegif() unable to open temporary file

I would then guess the permission error is with the directory stated.

ie /path/to/. Have you tried modifying the directory the script resides in to allow public write access?

----- Original Message ----- From: "kristina clair" <kclair@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 3:28 PM
Subject:  imagegif() unable to open temporary file

Hi,

I'm having a problem with imagegif() - it is apparently unable to open
the temporary file it needs to write to:

<b>Warning</b>:  imagegif(): Unable to open temporary file in
<b>/path/to/script.php</b> on line

I am using php 4.3.10 compiled with --with-gd.  php was compiled using
httpd-2.0.52, but apache has been since upgraded to 2.0.54.

From the docs I've read online, it seems like php should support
writing gif images -  we used the packaged gd libraries, which are gd
2.0.28, which is said to support gif.
GD Support enabled
GD Version bundled (2.0.28 compatible)
GIF Read Support enabled
GIF Create Support enabled

The error message looks like a permissions problem to me, but I can't
figure out what the source of that might be.  Since we don't define a
temporary directory in php.ini, is it being set to the system default,
which is /tmp?  The /tmp directory has full write permissions.  One
thought I had was that since I am using Fedora Core 3, /tmp is mounted
with noexec, which might be causing a problem.  However, I remounted
it without noexec, and imagegif() is still unhappy.

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Kristina