Writing a PHP Web application

Hello,

What are the options to get code to run on the server (every XX
minutes), without any user interaction, etc.
Example 1: If I have a directory that contains files, can I write a
script that will delete all files older that 5 days?
Example 2: If I write an email web application, and the user wants to
send an email to 50 people, can I write a script that will send emails
individually XX seconds apart from each other, but have the progress
interfaced with the web page the user is on so they can see the
percentage progress of sent emails.

Is this possible? How do I do such things?
Are there any resources available that can help me with this?

Also,  back to the email example, is it possible that once an email is
composed and sent, that the web application can scan the email for
viruses, then show a message to the user if a virus was found in their
email, if no virus found, the email is then sent to the users as above.

How would I scan an email for viruses (or spam?)? And, scan it only once
so that system resources are not used to scan unnecessarily for every
recipient?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim