postgres - mysql last_inserted_id

Hello,

I have an application in production, build on mysql database.

I decided to migrate to postgres because of numerous reasons.

Can you guys please guide me into the right direction?

the main problem  is the missing autoincrement of pgsql and getting the last
record from the tabel, for linking to another tabel.

How do you deal with that?

also, can you please recommend me some good manual, explanation or book to
help me with this problem.

Because the application uses around 250 tables in mysql and I would like to
make it righ t the first time

when migrating to pgsql..

I was thinking about using the pear db wrapper class, but

Regards,

Uroš KRISTAN