Re: PHP vs. ColdFusion

Quoting Brad Pauly <bpauly@xxxxxxxxx>:

It might not be easy to put a number on, but consider your (and
possibly the other developers') enthusiasm about PHP. I would guess
that you will be more productive with something that you are excited
about.

Our senior developer and I (who come from a C background) are big php fans, and have made that fact clear to management. We have a new developer whose background is in ColdFusion, but he's been playing with and has warmed to php; he says he likes it and would look forward to the challenge of a new language. We have a Visual Basic programmer who I thought would push for ColdFusion but, to my surprise, he's pushing for php (maybe just because he's following everybody else, but I don't really care why). Our last developer hasn't expressed an opinion one way or the other. Our manager, who will ultimately make the decision, has seen some ColdFusion demos and really likes the ease of use (through abstraction of common tasks) and RAD capabilities. To my knowledge, she hasn't looked at php yet (which is why I'm soliciting information).

I have done a lot of work in both ColdFusion and PHP and I much prefer
PHP. There are some technical reasons (i.e., I like "shared nothing"),
but some of it is also personal preference. I just like it. CF is fine
and I don't think it's dead, but it just isn't as fun to work with. My
biggest problem with CF is probably that I have to use it on Windows
and, well, I really don't like that. ;) You mention being in a Windows
environment so maybe you don't have a choice with that aspect.

Good information; I really appreciate having opinions from ColdFusion developers. As far as the Windows environment, things may be on the way to changing; see my earlier post about a current php application running on a Linux box with Apache.

If management can see that you are stoked to use PHP that might help your cause.

That's what I'm hoping, and so far it seems to be having an impact.

Thanks for your input!
Rick