From: Jason Barnett [mailto:jason.barnett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 28 June 2005 14:16
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  looking for a pure startup opportunity..

*************************************

This e-mail has been received by the Revenue Internet e-mail service.

*************************************

OK, let me put this another way... while trying to remain polite.  Let's
suppose that I am an unknown (to you) member of this list and I have
this great idea that I want to develop.  My idea is a great one and it's
going to make millions.  Now since I'm the one that had the idea I think
it's pretty easy for me to go find 3 friends of mine (people that I
know/trust/live close to me) that have the requisite skills.  After all,
it's not like most programmers go hanging out with Hollywood
celebrities.  ;)  If I really believed that my idea was so hot then I
probably wouldn't be waiting around for someone on this mailing list,
I'd just get started doing it.

<true_story>
Back about two years ago I was subscribed to this newsgroup with my
email address from college.  Back then I was just doing what I do now...
answering PHP questions while I work.  Except that I answered a lot more
questions then because, well, I was in school still.  :)  I don't
remember exactly how many I answered, but you can check out the marcives
if you really want.

Anyhow, after doing this for about a year I apparently caught someone's
attention.  I received an email from
<insert_name_of_big-shot-venture-capitalist-here /> telling me that he
had capital to give me if I had an idea that I wanted to develop.  I
politely declined, but I told him I would get back to him if a superb
idea came my way...
</true_story>

I have always felt that getting the financing is the easy part.
Besides, if your goal is to get $millions in funding then you're looking
at it all wrong.  The goal is to make profit... and loads of it.  If it
just so happens that you need a lot of funding to make that happen, then
you can go get it.  If you have killer idea(s), then you are better off
mocking up a prototype and networking with some people that can get you
financing.

You always have to make a profit.

You always have to make a profit.  At least, if you plan on doing
anything that's going to catch the attention of some VC's.  ;)