Re: looking for a pure startup opportunity..

OK, let me put this another way... while trying to remain polite. Let's suppose that I am an unknown (to you) member of this list and I have this great idea that I want to develop. My idea is a great one and it's going to make millions. Now since I'm the one that had the idea I think it's pretty easy for me to go find 3 friends of mine (people that I know/trust/live close to me) that have the requisite skills. After all, it's not like most programmers go hanging out with Hollywood celebrities. ;) If I really believed that my idea was so hot then I probably wouldn't be waiting around for someone on this mailing list, I'd just get started doing it.

<true_story>
Back about two years ago I was subscribed to this newsgroup with my email address from college. Back then I was just doing what I do now... answering PHP questions while I work. Except that I answered a lot more questions then because, well, I was in school still. :) I don't remember exactly how many I answered, but you can check out the marcives if you really want.

Anyhow, after doing this for about a year I apparently caught someone's attention. I received an email from <insert_name_of_big-shot-venture-capitalist-here /> telling me that he had capital to give me if I had an idea that I wanted to develop. I politely declined, but I told him I would get back to him if a superb idea came my way...
</true_story>

I have always felt that getting the financing is the easy part. Besides, if your goal is to get $millions in funding then you're looking at it all wrong. The goal is to make profit... and loads of it. If it just so happens that you need a lot of funding to make that happen, then you can go get it. If you have killer idea(s), then you are better off mocking up a prototype and networking with some people that can get you financing.

You always have to make a profit.

You always have to make a profit. At least, if you plan on doing anything that's going to catch the attention of some VC's. ;)