Re: Stop spreading PEAR FUD; WAS Re: [PHP] Re: PHP web archeticture

      Hi,

   I feel like I should answer your "anger" towards my opinion.
First of all I consider PEAR to be bloated for the following reasons;
it's a large library, it tries to cover a very general approach and
please 99% of case one may encounter. It's exception system is overused and
the overhead of it is not to be disregarded.
   Granted, PHP5 brings PEAR into a new light with it's new object model,
but till recently, php4 was in place and it's object model made big class
libraries quite a problem. Let's not forget there are few out there
using php5 in production.
   I, for one, prefer to use highly specialezed libraries, which are
designed for one purpose only and which are carefully coded to achive
that purpose with maximum efficiency and as less overhead as possible.
   I think PEAR is a very good class library and it's code is very nice
and well thought. I use the Log package of PEAR, which does not depend
on the PEAR core and I am very happy with it.
   I don't deny it's usefullness nor do i contest it in any way, I simply
prefer a different approach when building a project.
   If I were to compare PEAR with another well known library from the C++
world I would compare it with MFC and if I am to choose between smaller,
leaner and meaner PHP libraries over PEAR then I will choose them just
as I would choose ATL/WTL over MFC.
   It can be that development time may be a bit longer but the code
quality will be better in my opinion and I for one value more code
quality over a few hours of extra time.
   Btw! I do keep an eye on PEAR as I do on many other PHP libraries and
I do monthly research about what's new and noteworthy in the PHP world. For
example, when the issue of using a database layer and a templating engine
came into the big picture, I tried both PEAR::DB and ADOdb as I tried
PEAR::HTML_* and Smarty. I decided to use ADOdb and Smarty because they were
smaller and faster.
   My decision was based on personal experience and not influenced by opinions
expressed by others; of course I did take the time to see what others have
to say but the decision was mine to make. I may as well have been wrong
in making that decision but for now I am quite happy with it and I don't
consider switching to PEAR as a better alternative.

Catalin

P.S.
   Please forgive me if my opinion offended you in any way.