RE: Re: security question...??

> if i as a bank, refuse to allow you to signin to my server, because i
> detect
> that your client is not valid/legitimate, meaning i think it's been
> hacked,
> how have i trampled the rights of anyone. i haven't. will some customers
> run, sure.. perhaps.. will i potentially feel better. yeah. will i
> potentially have something that i can promote as an extra level of
> security
> that others don't have, maybe..

The banking industry is generally not slow in exploring security issues. In
point of fact, I know a guy here in Australia who works as a consultant for
the major banks on encryption protocols and strategies (and his
encryption-related background before working privately for the banking
industry is *scary*), so it should be a given that banks do care about
security both generally and specifically.

That having been said, you're waving the stick around by the wrong end. It
is fundamentally more important to a bank that general access to customer
records be protected, not to specific records relating to any one customer
because of that customer's negligence. By this I mean, most of their money
is invested in attempting to stop hostile attempts to gain access to
customer databases at their end, not at stopping hostile attempts to gain
access to customer data at the client's end. Why? Because that's where the
liability lies. Follow the money.

If you expose your own records by being foolish enough to run spyware-ridden
browser software, this is your own issue. Again, as I mentioned before, once
the data is in your hands, it's your responsibility. Behave responsibly or
stupidly / ignorantly, the choice is ultimately yours.

> let people continue to read/hear about massive losses of data and see what
> happens...

Again, the massive losses of data we generally hear about are not as a
result of sniffer programs sitting at the client end. They're ordinarily
about hackers gaining access to the data at the source, where thousands or
millions of customer records can be compromised, not at the client. This
doesn't mean it's not an issue, but that it's an issue that can't and won't
be addressed by anything more than public awareness campaigns.

Which is why I think you're wasting energy on this topic. I'd much rather
see you or anyone else, for that matter, putting this care and attention
into reviewing how secure your app is, even if it's for the 20th time, than
wondering how you go about hypothetically doing something that can't be
done, and which, to the best of anyone's knowledge, isn't going to be
practically implemented by anyone any time soon.

Obligatory, "Oh my god, can you really believe they did that?" story:

>From a consultancy project I was hired on to extend a retail web site. SSL
encryption where customer data was being entered or viewed? Check. Efforts
to negate the potential of SQL / code injection? Check. Backup strategy?
Daily dump of all records using PHPMyAdmin. From a directory where SSL was
not being enforced. All that customer data. All that effort to protect it
from being exposed to hostile eyes. From a directory where SSL was not being
enforced. Makes you want to weep.

Regards,

Murray