Re: Re: security question...??

Bruce,

I think you missed my point here: Nomatter how secure the client's browser
is, or even if he uses a custom made Client Access Program (believe me, the
banks in Denmark used that approach at first because browsers weren't
secure enough), it still doesn't change the fact that there may be other
factors that cause the transmission to be insecure.

A packet sniffer doesn't have to in any way be connected to the browser or
other program used to access your server. And if the program used is made
correctly (as in, not IE), you won't be able to detect whatever's running
outside that program from the server side. And packet sniffers already
exist in the majority of computers: firewalls, anti-virus, and network
traffic monitors. They all do, or can, read the contents of the network
packets going in and out of the computer. I have numerous versions of
those, some of them will let me actually see the contents of each and every
network packet ...

Packet sniffers exist that'll let you monitor the network traffic on a
remote computer, without even have access to that computer (one of my
friends did it to me just to show how easy it is). So even if your server
could see that the program your client uses is as secure as can be, there
isn't any way possible that you'll be able to see if the connection between
you and the client is tapped or not...

My bank in Denmark use custom encryption plugins for the browser because
the built-in encryption system isn't good enough. Their system is based
upon HTML websites only because it's more comfortable to use, but without
their custom plugin and the digital key I have to install to make it work,
the online banking website is completely inaccessible. Their system don't
even use normal cookies because it'd leave footprints on your computer. But
it still doesn't change the fact that it still communicates through normal
HTTP and TCP commands, and that the packets are still readable, although
encrypted...

Rene

Documented research indicate that on Wed, 22 Jun 2005 06:00:48 -0700,

--
Rene Brehmer
aka Metalbunny

We have nothing to fear from free speech and free information on the
Internet, but pop-up advertising!

http://metalbunny.net/
My little mess of things...