Re: Re: security question...??

On 6/22/05, bruce <bedouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> sure it can rory...
>
> i can give you a file... i create a hash of the file... if i have a process
> within the file that i give you that allows the file to more or less create
> the hash of itself, and if i can query/access the file to get the
> information, then i can more or less determine if the file has been
> changed..
Let me get this straight:

 - You give me a file containing a process, which you keep a hash of.
 [ I assume by 'process' you mean code to create a process. ]

 - Process creates hash of itself.
  [ which should be the same as the one created by you ]

 - You then access the file
  [ I assume you mean the hash, generated on the client ]

 - and determine if the file has been changed.
  [ by, I'm assuming, comparing the hashes. ]

Assuming I understand your suggestion, you're simply checking to see
if the file has been changed. How exactly does this detect hacked
browsers?

If the code to do the hashing is in the file you give me, then the
browser used is irrelevent. The hash will be the same. If the code to
do the hashing is in the browser, then anyone who hacks the browser,
generally wouldn't modify the hashing code.

You could conceveably hash the browsers binary, but there nothing to
stop the hacked browser from simply storing and returning when
requested checksum. Even if the hacked browser did execute the file
correctly, it could simply replace the file access routines, with ones
redirecting the file to a legitimate binary.

> would this approach require additional functionality.. sure but it might
> also require no more than a plugin... the issue is that there are multiple
> ways of tryng to determine if you have a legitimate file/app...

'trying' being the operative word.

> i hope you don't have this narrow focus with any of your customers, or in
> your daily job.. or you might simply need to recognize that there's a lot
> more that you don't know, than you do... ahh to be young!
I think that applies to everyone, and is particularly irrelevent to
this discussion. The fact that there are things I don't know doesn't
take away from the stuff that I do, and one thing I do know is that
your current suggestions are completely impractical.