Re: Advise needed on moderated threaded chat

One suggestion:

Allow the moderator to pre-approve specific logins/users/handles for a
session or if they login, forever.

So after Joe User proves him/her self as a worthy chat-ter, their posts go
through un-moderated.

On Wed, June 1, 2005 5:21 pm, Dan Rossi said:
> I've been given the bombed task of coming up with a pre-moderated
> threaded chat solution. I had implemented a moderated flash chat
> however with 100 users all making bulky comments to the chat guests, it
> became unbearable for the moderator to check them all off in time to
> make them cohesive to the discussion, as it was a java xml socket based
> flash chat therefore had no threading capabilities.
>
> Now I dont particularly want to have to write something like this in
> php, I can just see the Apache 1.3 server with a Mysql backend grinding
> as there is no threading. What could be the best solution here ? I use
> special tricks these days to prevent page state changing when posting
> using XMLHTTP , well I am using a package called Aframe which uses
> Sajax but allows for OO based services, so this could be a solution for
> the posting mechanism.
>
> However I would need to find the best solution which will use the less
> resources when posting, and refreshing, and adding moderated comments
> back into the chat thread in the position when it was posted possibly
> by the database primary key. If there is better ways either using
> sockets to another mechanism let me know.
>
> Dan
>
> --

Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm