Re: handling a user pressing browser's back button

On Tue, April 26, 2005 11:51 am, James said:
> What have people done in the past to deal with states and such and
> keeping these things straight when the user hits the BACK button?

Best Option:
Don't design your application like that :-)

People use the browsers they use because they like its features.

Including, often, the feature you think is "bad" or "broken"

If you absolutely cannot live with that, you can send out all kinds of
headers to avoid caching.

There are about a half-dozen you have to send to get *EVERY* browser to
behave as well as you can get it -- which even then may not make you
happy...

Send expiration in the past, send all the no-cache and pragma headers.

Then test with every browser in every header combination and figure out
what works.

I used to have my canonical list of headers to do this -- But I simply
stopped trying to exert that much control over users and their back button
instead.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm