Re: Re: handling a user pressing browser's back button

On Tue, April 26, 2005 7:02 pm, Matthew Weier O'Phinney said:
> 1. Display form on page 1. Page 1 has Cache-Control: no-cache header.
> 2. User submits form to page 2
> 3. Page 2 processes form, stores required variables in session, and then
>    redirects to page 3.
> 4. Page 3 displays results (success page, search results, etc.)
>
> At this point, when you hit the back button, you *should* get to page
> 1... which, because of the no-cache header, is forced to reload.

Except that if you're fast enough, and can hit the ALT-left_arrow, and
then escape fast enough to get to page 2.

Or, with some browsers, you can't get "back" to page 1 AT ALL, unless you
hit "back" twice rapidly in succession, or use the popup back menu to
"skip" the middle page that does the re-direct.

I *hate* sites that do this to me!

I've even been known to just stop using a site if it annoys me often
enough in this regard.

YMMV

NATAU (Not applicable to all users)

--