Re: Is it possible to save a file with UTF-8 encoding and no BOM using PHP?

On Fri, April 22, 2005 9:54 pm, Rasmus Lerdorf said:
>>>Maybe I'm just being dumb, but I think if you UTF-8 encode your data,
>>> and
>>>http://php.net/fwrite it, you're gonna get what you want...
>>>
>>>Dunno about the Byte-Order-Mark part, but I guess you could strip it out
>>>of the UTF-8 encoded data before writing, if you wanted to.
>>
>> That was the first thing I tried, and it doesn't seem to work (it always
>> saves in windows default encoding). Unless I missing something about
>> what
>> you can do with fwrite. Did you actually test that before you replied,
>> and
>> found that it would? If so, how? The Byte Order Mark is a part of the
>> binary
>> file that is written, how would one go about stripping it out??

I didn't try anything.

I wouldn't know a UTF-8 it it walked up and bit me on the ass.  :-)

But I *do* know that PHP's fwrite is much too low-level to be doing
encoding types and whatnot.

It just writes whatever you tell it.

If you think it's always saving in windows default encoding, perhaps your
test is not distinguishing between having no BOM (whatever that is) and
having the Windows BOM or whatever makes you think it's Windows format.

As far as getting rid of the BOM, assuming you've got your UTF-8 string
thingie, and you know where the BOM occurs, you'd just use
http://php.net/substr on it, I reckon...

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm