Re: Is it possible to save a file with UTF-8 encoding and noBOM using PHP?

Wow, nice to hear from the guy who created PHP! :)

I need to make 2 things clearer though:

1. First I want to know how to make the actual binary file that is written,
to be encoded as UTF-8. This is my PRIMARY question.

2. How to have "fwrite" write the file without the BOM. (to make it more
compatible with certain XML parsers -per the W3C's recommendation).

No matter what I do to the strings to encode them in whatever format before
using "fwrite", it ALWAYS seems to end up writing the actual file in
"iso-8859-1".

Isn't the encoding of the characters in PHP's strings, and the encoding of
the actual binary file on your hard drive, two totally different things? Or
am I just misinformed?

Example: When I open up Windows "Notepad", then I type some stuff into it,
and then I choose "file", "save as", "encoding: UTF-8", then I click "save".

So how do I do this SAME thing using PHP?

Could someone give me a actual code example of how to do that? I'm just
soooo lost.

How do you actually control the way the binary file itself is written, and
not just the text that is saved in the file?