RE: [semi OT]: Planning projects

On Tue, March 22, 2005 8:58 am, Chris W. Parker said:
> Jay Blanchard <mailto:jay.blanchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>     on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 4:47 AM said:
>
>> +1 for pencil & paper or whiteboard. And in the words of Obi Jay, "Use
>> the flowchart Chris"
>
> I would very much like to use flowcharts but I haven't been able to use
> them effectively yet. That is, I'm not sure how to split up the macro
> from the micro. Macro being the flow a user would take through the
> checkout section of the site and micro being how a function works.

Personally, I'd opt for working on the macro first, and making that as
clean and clear as you can, really thinking deeply on it.

Put it away for a day or two and pull it out.

Does it all still make sense?

Are you REALLY providing the best functionality for the most users as
quickly and efficiently as possible?

It's much too easy (guilty!) to start diving in and writing
code/functions/pages without reflecting enough on the big picture.

Course, you sometimes have the PHB breathing down your neck who will
accuse you of "not working" if you aren't typing code.  Sigh.  Time to
quit *that* job and look for another one.

PS  I'm looking for a new job. :-^

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm