Re: login error to mySQL from PHP

David Freedman wrote:
I am attempting to install both phpMyAdmin and phpLens. When attempting to
connect to the mySql server I get the following error message:

 "Unable to connect. Please click on Previous and correct.
[Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;
consider upgrading MySQL client] "

This error means that you are using incompatible versions of the MySQL client libraries. If you are are using MySQL 4.1.x then you need to use the mysqli extension (and functions) -- because MySQL has changed the way it encrypts passwords.

Conversely, mysqli connect routines will not work with MySQL versions < 4.1.x.

You have one final option, which is to run MySQL 4.1 with the --old-password switch, which you would have to read up on at the MySQL website to find out how.

One more thing, phpMyAdmin has a toggle in its configuration file that you must set if you are using it with MySQL 4.1.x (it will then use the correct client libraries). I have no idea what phpLens is, so I can't help you there.