Accepting a credit card

We've had a lot of discussion on what not to do -- not storing credit cards in one's own database -- so, I'd like to pose the question: what are the best practices for a *small* site to accept credit cards? I have a couple of clients with small sites that would like to accept credit cards. Supposing PayPal is out of question (because it doesn't quite look as professional), what sort of payment gateways have you all used? Is it okay to use shared hosting with a payment gateway? One of my clients already has a physical card-swipe merchant account. Should I contact their bank to see what online options they offer?

I'd be interesting to hear any experiences you may have had setting up small sites to accept credit cards.

Best wishes,

Richard Miller