Re: updated php $_GET

Jacco Ermers wrote:
Hello everyone,

I recently installed php5 onto my windows IIS. Previous I had php running on Apache. I coded a page (testing purposes) but now I get errors. the page can be viewed on a remote server (without the errors) http://seabird.jmtech.ca

Locally I receive these errors:

Undefined index: section in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Seabird-local\includes\submenu.php on line 3

if($_GET['section']=='') etc.
It used to be that I could use a section == ''
is it new to php5 that I cannot? and I also used to be able to use $_GET[section] and now I have to use $_GET['section']

did I overlook anything configuring my php.ini or is this due to my new enviroment?

Thank you for helping

This is due to different setting in error reporting, now you have also E_NOTICE turned on.

if($_GET['section']=='')

should be coded as:

if(empty($_GET['section']))

If GET variable 'section' is not sent, it is not equal to '', it does not even exists, is undefined. Using it triggers error of level E_NOTICE.

If you write

$_GET[section]

php is looking for constant named 'section'. However, it does not exists, so an error of level E_NOTICE is triggered. Undefined constant is then converted to string with its name. So you get $_GET['section'] in the end.

It's a good practice have full error reporting turned on, since this will help you spot errors and write safer code.