Re: file upload error

Tom wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. My manual was out of date, not that it would
> have made any difference to this anyway as .....
> upload_tmp_dir variable was correctly set in the php.ini file, and I'd
> restarted the web server several times. It seems however that the file
> is getting cached somehow, and is not re-read until I restart the entire
> box. Anyone out there know why this may be, or a slightly better way of
> getting around it than rebooting?
> (By the way, the upload functionality is fine after the reboot :))

Several possibilities here...

First, you can ERADICATE the idea that the file was getting cached, at
least by Apache or PHP.  Maybe you've got something really funky in your
file-system to cache it, but that's also incredibly unlikely.

On to the possible scenarios:

1. You only *THOUGHT* you re-started Apache, but the script you use to
stop/start Apache, or Apache itself, failed to inform you that it didn't
stop and then start correctly.

2. You *DID* re-start Apache, but the script you used is telling Apache to
read a DIFFERENT httpd.conf from the one that gets read by your boot
processing script (/etc/rc.init/[apache|httpd] probably, on Linux).  That
different httpd.conf, in turn, points to a DIFFERENT php.ini and/or
mod_php.so getting loaded, so the php.ini you *thought* was getting
re-loaded when you restarted Apache, was not the one really getting
loaded.

You can easily confirm/deny #2 by looking at <?php phpinfo();?> after a
re-boot, then re-starting Apache, then looking at <?php phpinfo();?>
again.  The same php.ini file should be listed near the top in both cases,
or you'll quickly find out which php.ini file[s] are being read.

For #1, you can try your Apache re-start again, and use
http://localhost/server-status (or is that server_status) to see Apache's
up-time, if you have mod_status installed.  Or you could use "ps auxwww |
grep httpd" to see how long Apache has been runing.  Or maybe use "top" to
find out if you really really re-started Apache.

Hopefully, this is a development machine so you can re-start and re-boot
as needed to track down what is or isn't happening.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm