Re: fopen, fsockopen on my virtual host

Al wrote:
> Richard Lynch wrote:
>> Al wrote:
>>
>>>I've got a script that fetches a stream from a file on our virtual host.
>>>Its
>>>been working fine; but, yesterday they changed something and it no
>>> longer
>>>works.
>>
>> Can you define "no longer works" a bit more clearly...
>>
>> Error messages?
>>
>> Just times out?
>>
>> What?
>>
>>>$fp= fsockopen("www.oursite.org", 80, $errno, $errstr, 30);
>>>
>>>I can use any remote site and fscockopen works fine.
>>>
>>>Anyone have a suggestion as to how I deal with this problem?
>>

>> if ($errno){
>>   error_log("fsockopen errored out with # $errno: $errstr");
>> }
>>

> Here is my error report:
>
>> Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to www.restonrunners.org:80 in
>> /www/r/reston/htdocs/phpList/PQ/PQutility.php on line 364
>> Operation timed out (60)
>
> fsockopen() works fine with remote URLs and even "localhost"; but, not
> with our
> own URL.
>
> I'd use "localhost" but, I need to attach some GET arguments and I can't
> figure
> out a way to do it. e.g.,
>
> $str=
> file_get_contents(localhost?page=processqueue&login=Pmin&password=xxxxx)

Put some quotes on that, and http:// on the front, and it should work as-is.

Your own domain not working is a symptom of something else though...

Can you ping restonrunners.org?

What happens if you try to do this in a shell:
telnet restonrunners.org 80
GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: restonrunners.org

Hit 'return' twice after the 'Host:' line.

You should get your homepage.

You may have some firewall mis-configured, or DNS issues, or /etc/hosts
might be messed up or...

Many things *could* be wrong to cause this, but none of them are really
PHP-related.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm