Re: PHP Application server / Expression of Interest

Devraj Mukherjee wrote:
Yes that is the sort of stuff we are looking at. Objects will be able to live endlessly, we are planning to address issues such as DB connection pooling, etc.

For those who wish to learn more about app servers, I recommend you looking at some of the Java stuff

http://java.sun.com/j2ee/
http://jboss.org/

We will be releasing the specs soon, so you guys can have a look at what we are upto.

I look forward to it. who knows what it might become!

Are most guys here Unix users?

generally (from the impression I get, and taken from my own experience):

1. new phpers often run on windows, with an idea to moving to company/shared hosting
in *nix boxes (although the phper may have little experience of *nix)

2. more experienced users are familiar with *nix and most often develop on linux
(quite often I see people run dual-boot development machines)

3. the most advanced users generally make the most use of *nix variants, MacOSX, FreeBSD,
Solaris etc being more exotic (and less used).

in short, on the 'low' end there is lots of windows only uses on the 'higher' end alot of
*nix usage with a predominance of linux.

at the end of the day most production webservers running php sites/apps are LAMP based,
if only due to the economics. (free is hard to beat, especially when it class kit so to speak)
so I imagine the compentency of the 'group' would generally be be focused around
Linux, Apache based systems - if you can build a _transparent_ app server that plugs directly
into that setup you may very well have a winner (?)

maybe others see it differently?

Devraj

Jochem Maas wrote:

I'm assuming he means a process which contains/maintain 'space'
for long term classes/objects/vars/etc which instantly available
in every request space and sharable across requests (of different users)

so you could do something like (just a thought):

startMyApp('OfficeCalendar');

and then you script could talk to objects that exist server wide
for everyone as if they were objects taken from the session or
created in that particular request.

am I even close?